Saturday, June 30, 2012

Welcome to my blog!

So here I am doing a blog! It's almost an oxymoron. I'm someone who doesn't read blogs or tweets, and who isn't on any social networking sites (Jill put Living Earth on Facebook, but I'm not on it personally). In my life, if I have time to spend doing that kind of stuff, I'd rather be out on the land observing, harvesting, or just being!

So why bother doing a blog? Some people have been suggesting I do this for some time. Finally I gave in for several reasons. One of the reasons is that I've had several books laid out for about ten years and the first one is only about half done. I can't write putting aside a day a week. It can take days just to get into the flow. What I need is to be able to put aside large blocks of time, but that isn't an option yet. So this blog is a forum from which I can provide some useful information to whoever is interested without having to finish a book.

One of the reasons we are currently transitioning many of the Living Earth courses into an online format is so that, once the transition is complete, I won't be spending so much time in the classroom and I will be able to put aside more time for writing. That brings me to another reason for this blog. It will provide another venue through which our online students to get to know me and where I'm coming from, something that is difficult to do when you aren't taking classes in person. It also provides an opportunity for me to put out some practical information that will be helpful for the online students or for anyone else who has a passion for herbs. Even the students who have taken in-class courses with me for years will find a lot of this useful as I can provide little tidbits that I wasn't able to fit into any of the classes.

This blog can potentially go anywhere and it will! You can expect detailed information on the harvesting of herbs as I go through harvesting season. Observations or inspirations that come to me while I'm out on the land doing what herbalists do (at least this herbalist). Probably the occasional rant as well. Consider this a window on the world of an herbalist. Hopefully it will inspire some people to get out into Nature more, which is where all healing and medicine come from. Others may even be inspired to walk this path. I can't think of a better, more fulfilling way to live one's life - but then I'm definitely biased!

Welcome to my world...




1 comment:

  1. Fantastic idea my Brother. You never cease to amaze me with your capacity to give. This is a great way to share your wonderful knowledge with the people.
    Much Love

    Chris G

    ReplyDelete